Supporting Sponsorship from Paxful
Paxful, a leading P2P exchange that helps people buy bitcoin, has become a supporting sponsor of Bitcoin.org. Since the Bitcoin Foundation sponsorship ended in 2015, Bitcoin.org has been self-funded by the domain owners and by community donations.
This quarterly supporting sponsorship (which can potentially be renewed) will help bolster and catalyze several efforts:
- Achieving 100% translation coverage across the site, including the developer documentation
- Expanding and updating existing developer documentation and other related material
- Expanding and updating the site in general to be more comprehensive and helpful, based on contributor and community feature requests and feedback
- New opportunities to compensate active contributors for their time and efforts
- Increased financial security to cover server, hosting, legal and other administration-related expenses for the foreseeable future
By working together with Paxful, this allows Bitcoin.org to be much more aggressive in getting good quality content produced and translated, and funding efforts to add new functionality and features to the site.
Bitcoin.org was originally registered and owned by Satoshi Nakamoto and Martti Malmi. When Satoshi left the project, he gave ownership of the domain to additional people, separate from the Bitcoin developers, to spread responsibility and prevent any one person or group from easily gaining control over the Bitcoin project. Since then, the site has been developed and maintained by different members of the Bitcoin community.
Despite being a privately owned site, its code is open-source and there have been over 3,200 commits from 180 contributors from all over the world. In addition to this, over 950 translators have helped to make the site display natively to visitors by default in their own languages — now 25 different languages and growing.